Monday, May 23, 2016

The Way to keep Dad from Overdosing

I saved many of my emails. My first Grandchild, Elle, was born the week this all happened. This was when Dad was in the psychiatric ward at Lutheran Hospital.

Hi,
In the middle of all this chaos, this little Angel was born. Now let's get to the real business, which is Dad.

Today is Sunday the 18th of October. I visited Dad at Lutheran Hospital. He was in good spirits and we watched the Browns on the TV in the big room. He is without a doubt one of the most lucid people there, at least today.
His doctor started him on an antidepressant today. That should  help. He has not bathed or washed his hair. He needs to. The nurse gave him a spongebath. His eye is inflamed from his rubbing it so he got some hydrocorticone to stop the itching. He thinks he is coming home tomorrow.
His doctor talks too low for him to hear. The nurse told her to speak up. I gave him a picture of his first great-grandaughter and he said, "How about that!"
Tomorrow Dan and I go to the Eldercare attorney to learn about VA benefits, etc.
Sandy

  1. From Brenda:
    Just so you know, there is another medicine dispenser we could consider from Med smart. It costs $489.95 incl s+h. It has 60 compartments for meds and you turn the unit over to dispense the meds after it alarms to tell you it is time to take them.. It just does'nt seem as secure to me, but you may want to google it to see what you think. Believe it or not, right now I am more worried about mom. She has her insurance bills all screwed up because dad made changes between companies and she says she'll ask dad when he goes home.(That sounds like a good idea if dad knew which way is up.) So I'm going to mom's to try to sort things out. AAAAAAAAGGGGHHHH! Brenda
    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Cyn, Brenda and Dan:
    I ordered a med dispenser which is $75 a month. It should arrive within a week. It is connected to the phone line and I will be alerted if he doesn't take his pills.

    I went over insurance with mom and we have it straight. Yesterday dad saw another psychitrist and after we left he went to the opthamologist. He created quite a scene. He also was yelling and swearing at people and calling all those in the ward "Idiots!"

    They have upped his anti-psychotic medicine 3 times so far. They are afraid to let him go home. They will not let him out Friday. The EARLIEST will be Monday. The social worker told me mom should rest and so should all of us. He was cursing the entire family today. Social worker said he "was going to be a handful" when he goes home. Brenda said there is a lady on the floor that exposes herself to him. I personally think Dad should kiss the ground mom walks on when he gets home.
    We are still keeping the 1:30 appt. with the nursing home on Saturday at Mom's. The RN or social worker will be able to talk with us all about what kind of care Harry should receive at home.
    Daniel-we need to get his financials in order or they will just flush their money down the toilet. I don't know if Dad can stay at home very long in his present state. Those medicines will have to actually change his personality. (Wouldn't THAT be nice?)

    Love you all! Dan-I know you are on overload. I love you. Call me if you ever want to. Otherwise I will see you Saturday. I am bringing a pie. Mom's BD is Sunday.

    She cried today and said she should hav just let Harry die. Poor Brenda. She was at her house then. I was telling them he wasn't going home yet.
    Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment